Phishing Scam

A scam is currently circulating involving a phone caller that claims your ATM card has been blocked and asking you to press 1 to restore service. These calls are a scam and neither HomeFed or Bank of the Cascades would contact you in this manner. If you've given out your card information, please contact us at 1-800-888-7283.

Home Federal Bank

Cyber Security

Learn how to protect yourself and your business.

At HomeFed, your security is very important to us. Please take the time to educate yourself on this very important topic by using the resources we have provided.

For Commercial Banking Clients
  Cyber Security & ID Theft Prevention View resources and video
  Practice Safe Computing Quick Reference Guide View PDF
For Personal Banking Clients
  Cyber Security & ID Theft Prevention View resources and video
  Practice Safe Computing Quick Reference Guide View PDF

Note: Audio/Video tutorials require Adobe Flash Player. Get Adobe Flash Player.
PDFs require Adobe Reader. Get Adobe Reader.

Additional Resources

What is Identity Theft?

Identity theft occurs when someone else uses your personal identifying information, such as your name, Social Security number, credit card number or driver's license without your permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.

What to do if you are a victim of Identity Theft


If you have given out your credit card, check card or ATM card information:

  • Report the incident to the card issuer as quickly as possible.
  • Report using toll-free numbers and 24-hour service that many companies have established to deal with such emergencies.
  • Request your card issuer close your compromised account number and reissue you a new card with a different number.
  • Monitor your account activity and review account statements carefully after the information loss.
  • If any unauthorized charges appear, call the card issuer immediately and follow up with a hard copy letter via a traditional delivery service such as U.S. Postal Service (keep a copy for yourself) describing each questionable charge

Back to top

If you experience credit card, check card or ATM card loss or fraudulent transactions

As a consumer, you are protected by Federal law and by many card protection programs if you exercise reasonable care and report any authorized transactions promptly.

  • It is very important that you continually monitor your monthly statements to identify any unauthorized transactions.
  • If you notice fraudulent activity, promptly notify your financial institution or card issuer to report it. (Check your Cardholder Agreement and Disclosure for particular protections and notification requirements.)

Business accounts are not governed by Regulation E and are therefore not afforded certain protections and liability limitations for unauthorized or fraudulent transactions. So the suggestions above are equally important for businesses. In addition, monitor and reconcile bank accounts daily so that questionable transactions can be researched and addressed promptly.

Back to top

If you have accidentally given out your bank account information

If you've been a victim of phishing, spoofing or other type of scam that resulted in the disclosure of your bank account details, take the following steps:

  • Report the theft of this information to the bank as quickly as possible.
  • Request your bank close the compromised account and re-open a like account with a different number.

Back to top

If you have downloaded a virus or 'Trojan Horse'

Some phishing attacks use viruses and/or "Trojan Horses" to install programs called "key logger" on your computer. These programs capture and send out any information that you type to the phisher, including credit card numbers, user names and passwords, Social Security numbers, etc. If this happens, it's likely you may not be aware of it until you notice unusual transactions on your account.

To minimize this risk, you should:

  • Install and/or update anti-virus and personal firewall software. (There are several products available online or through computer retail stores.)
  • Update your anti-virus programs often and all virus definitions and run a full scan.
  • If your system appears to have been compromised, repair it and then change your password again, since you may have transmitted the new one to the hacker.
  • Check your other accounts! eBay account, PayPal, your email ISP, online bank accounts, online trading accounts and other e-commerce accounts, and everything else for which you use online passwords, to ensure they remain secure and have not been comprised by unauthorized access.

Back to top

If you have given out your personal identification information

If you believe you have given out personal information such as your name, address, and Social Security number to someone who may use it for fraud:

Contact the three major credit reporting agencies—Experian, Equifax and TransUnion—and do the following:

  • Request a free copy of your credit report to check whether any accounts were opened without your consent.
  • Request that the agencies place a fraud alert and a victim's statement in your file.
  • Request that the agencies remove inquiries and/or fraudulent accounts stemming from the theft.

Back to top

Additional actions to take if you believe you are a victim of identity theft

  • If bank accounts were set up without your consent, close them.
  • Contact your local police department to file a criminal report.
  • Contact the Social Security Administration's Fraud Hotline to report the unauthorized use of your personal identification information.
  • Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to see whether an unauthorized driver's license number has been issued in your name and to notify them of the identity theft.
  • Notify the passport office to be on the lookout for anyone ordering a passport in your name.
  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission online
    - or call the FTC's Identity Theft Hotline, toll-free at 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338); TTY: 1-866-653-4261
    - or write: Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20580
    - Ask for (or download) a free copy of Taking Charge: What to do if Your Identity is Stolen (PDF), a guide that will help you recover from your theft—and guard against it in the future.
  • File a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) by visiting their Web site: IC3 is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), with a mission to address fraud committed over the Internet. For victims of Internet fraud, the Center provides a convenient and easy to use reporting mechanism that alerts authorities of a suspected criminal or civil violation.
  • Document the names and phone numbers of everyone you speak to regarding the incident. Follow up your phone calls with letters. Keep copies of all correspondence.

Back to top

Major Credit Bureaus


  • To order your report, call: 800-685-1111 or write : P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
  • To report fraud, call: 800-525-6285 and write: P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
  • Hearing impaired call 1-800-255-0056 and ask the operator to call the Auto Disclosure Line at 1-800-685-1111 to request a copy of your report.


  • To order your report, call: 888-EXPERIAN (397-3742) or write: P.O. Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013
  • To report fraud, call: 888-EXPERIAN (397-3742) TDD: 1-800-972-0322 and write: P.O. Box 9530, Allen, TX 75013.


  • To order your report, call: 800-888-4213 or write: P.O. Box 1000, Chester, PA 19022.
  • To report fraud, call: 800-680-7289 TDD: 1-877-553-7803 and write: Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92634.

Back to top 

Government Resources

Back to top